“I had a lot of reasons for wanting to get my CMP designation but I had no idea how beneficial it would be to learn the meetings industry from every angle. Knowing all aspects of a meeting has allowed me to understand all the puzzle pieces and how they should come together to achieve the best possible outcome. “
– Danielle Hopkins, CMP
What is a CMP?
Created by the Convention Industry Council (CIC) in 1985, a Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) is the highest certification in the meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry. With a CMP, you demonstrate competence in the meeting profession. Today, the CMP designation is recognized globally as the badge of excellence in the meeting, convention, exhibition, and event industry.
Highlighted Benefits of Being a CMP
- Competitive Advantage – Holding this certification, clients will have greater trust and respect for what you do best. Experience is a plus too!
- Personal Achievement – After a rigorous examination and application process, you can give yourself a pat on the back!
- Commitment – Gaining this continuing education certificate is one small step to proving your commitment to your career. Your goal driven pursuits will pay off!
- Salary Enhancement – Use the certification as a competitive advantage when it comes to negotiation salaries and other business.
How do you become a CMP?
Nothing good comes easy! There is an in depth application and exam process to obtain the certification. The application is divided into sections that are graded by points. You must score a minimum of 90 points out of 150 on your application. The exam is held in person and consists of 165 multiple choice questions. Recertification is required every 5 years.
There is a lot of material to cover, so take advantage of the many resources available to you! Whether it’s taking online CMP practice exams, signing up for an online prep course, or joining a local study group, be sure to reach out for as much help as possible. FSAE, MPI and PCMA have some good options.
• As you review materials for the exam it’s important to remember that the exam is built to test your problem solving skills so memorizing information will not help you. You really need to understand the concepts and know how to resolve the issues.
• All of the exam questions are all multiple choice with only one correct answer. So if you know your stuff you’ll do great, they aren’t trying to trick you!
• There is a recommended ready list. Get all of these materials and be sure to pay special attention to the study questions at the end of each section.
Why Not Now?
Now that you know the benefits and expanded knowledge that you’ll gain, what are you waiting for? This is your chance to take your career to the next level! To learn more, visit the CIC website.